Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

My friend asked if I'd bring some Oatmeal Raisin cookies to her hubby's surprise 40th birthday party tomorrow and so I pulled out my old standby recipe.  These aren't "fancy" like my other creations so far, but boy are these good!  They are super easy and absolutely delicious.

I got this recipe from a friend at church years ago and although I don't see her very often (she goes to a different congregation at a different location), I think fondly of her every time I make these.  Since my Hubby doesn't like raisins, I alter the recipe using Ocean Spray "Craisins".  He'll eat them this way!  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Crisco
1-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cup Quick Rolled Oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raisins (or cranraisins... or whatever variation of dried fruit you want)
1 cup nuts (optional)


Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease baking sheets.

Combine Crisco, brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in a large bowl.  Beat at medium speed until well blended.

Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Mix into creamed mixture at low speed until just blended.  Stir in raisins/cranraisins, etc and nuts.

Drop rounded TBSPs full of dough 2" apart onto baking sheet.  Bake at 375F for approx 10 mins (depending on how your oven runs) or until lightly browned.

Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet then remove to foil.  (The longer you wait to transfer, the harder they stick and the greater the chance of them breaking or crumbling)


Makes 2 -1/2 dozen cookies.


Enjoy with a cold glass of milk!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Sue, What a cute site you have here! I will have to come back again. You are a great baker. I do not bake often. Maybe I should just order from you!

AliceMum said...

My absolutely favorite cookie!! Yummmy I will have to try your recipe..love this blog site Sue!!

Amy G said...

And they were (are!) delicious!!! Thank you for supporting our "cause" :) I didn't realize that you blogged about it!! heehee

Enjoying one of the last ones right now....yum.

xoxo

Post a Comment