Saturday, January 29, 2011

Christmas Wreath Cupcakes

For our annual Christmas Open House I also made cupcakes.  I found the design and recipe in my Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book that I received for my birthday last summer.  Now before I show and tell you about these cupcakes, please remember... I am no Martha Stewart!  I'm probably a little more like Erma Bombeck if truth be told!

I started off baking regular cupcakes from a mix:  chocolate for the Dec 18th party; french vanilla for Dec 27th.  After letting them cool completely, I iced them.  I used a regular Buttercream frosting for the Dec 18th cupcakes.  This worked well, but because of the nature of the frosting it tended to dry and break off a bit.  Still very delicious though.

Dec 18th Wreath Cupcakes

For the 27th party, I really wanted to give the recipe Martha used for these cupcakes a try.  It was a Swiss Meringue Buttercream, very different from the regular buttercream in that it doesn't contain any icing sugar, and it does contain... an entire POUND of butter.  Don't let that deter you from trying this frosting at least once though.  It is beyond creamy in texture and not too sweet for those who don't like sweet icing.  Follow the link above to Martha's site for the recipe!

Dec 27th Wreath Cupcakes

The Swiss Meringue was much easier to work with in the icing bag, but the cupcakes  needed to remain refrigerated until ready to serve as the butter would soften at room temperature.  

How to frost them?  Using the pre-tinted frosting, cover the tops of each cupcake, spreading the frosting as smooth as you can.  Next, color your remaining frosting in the green leaf color of your choice.  Put the frosting in your icing bag, using the #69 tip to make the leaves.  Starting on the outside of the cupcake, ice leaves on in a round pattern and then make a second (or third) row of leaves to complete the wreath.

For the little red "berries" on both sets of wreaths, I used a red "glitter" icing gel.  Not the best, but the best I could find at the time.  Ideally little red balls would be perfect but hard to come by.  And there you have them... Christmas Wreaths good enough to eat!




1 comments:

Denise said...

These look so cute Sue, I miss Christmas :) We had such a fun time this year and two lovely weeks off school!

Post a Comment